Thursday, March 11, 2010


Finished at last! The grey afghan is finally done. It was begun around the first of February and was pretty much a knitting marathon. It’s all my handspun. The darker grey is from the two rams we sold last year. The light grey is a fleece I bought somewhere.

It took over two thousand yards of yarn and I had totaled up the number of yards in each skein to start with and then weighed the remaining yarns after the first quarter of the piece was finished and weighed. It seemed likely that there wouldn’t be enough of the lite grey, but I had made myself a version of the Danish tie shawl with a neat knitted on edging from Riverrim in the lite grey so I hoped I might be able to just re-use the yarn from the edging and replace it with another color which is what happened.

In the meantime I got the box tape loom warped to take to Hrim Schola on the weekend. I also learned that Eleanor Bittle was absolutely correct when she said it wasn’t necessary to use a back strap on the box tape loom for pick up patterns.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010


I started knitting an afghan in two colors of my grey handspun shortly before Fred’s February birthday as a present for him. The dark grey is a blend of the fleeces of our two Finn rams that we sold last year.

The afghan is coming along nicely, although it does seem like acres of afghan greyness, and I needed a break - - colorwise - - so I made this Painted Diamonds bag from odds and ends of my handspun.

The bag still needs a lining and the afghan is only three quarters done, but I should finish it in the next couple of weeks just in time to start shearing and washing wool!