Friday, March 08, 2013

Not quite spring yet


It started with Fred’s remark that the coconut I had toasted looked like the wood shavings in his shop.  Which led to his and our friend, Mary’s, birthday cake.  I made a “spackle” bucket out of a little aspirin bottle and filled it with what were supposed to look like discards from a wood shop and scattered little woodworking tools around.  The draw knife used to be a twist tie and the lathe tool, a toothpick.

It seems like winter has been dragging on rather long.  The turkeys have to be bummed out today.  We got six inches of snow overnight.  Yesterday they had been happily scratching away at green grass in the yard.

I found a youtube video on how to make a cheese basket - - something I have always wanted so I dug through my supplies and came up with 3/8” strips and ordered the half inch half-round for the rim.  The half-round is kind of overkill for what I was trying to do, but I made it work.  On the inside of the basket instead of overlapping it, I just butted it. I used the plied iris leaves for a filler.  I still need to wrap the rim.  The basket is pretty wonky in places. I hope the next one will be better.

3 Comments:

Blogger cyndy said...

That cake was delicious!

And the basket turned out great! You make it all look so easy!

5:05 PM  
Blogger bspinner said...

Yum! Cake looks wonderful.
I love the basket. If you want something perfect go buy it in a store. Give me handmade any day.

5:43 PM  
Blogger bspinner said...

Yum! Cake looks wonderful.
I love the basket. If you want something perfect go buy it in a store. Give me handmade any day.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home