Saturday, February 05, 2011

THRIFT


Today I assembled and tied a quilt top that was given to me about a decade ago by an elderly woman. I don’t remember if she said made it herself or if she inherited it.
It is made of two inch squares - - some of which are pieced together to eke out the bits of fabric.

The fabrics came from worn out clothing or maybe even feedsacks and possibly date from the depression or even earlier. This is the same family that was the source of the two boy’s diaries from 1876 I transcribed.

While working on the quilt, I was listening to CNN this morning about how a family could thrive on one income and it suggested making coffee at home and using coupons. I rarely see coupons for stuff we use. Mostly coupons are for prepared foods or snacks. I have never ever seen one for a bag of flour.

Tonight we are having homemade flour tortillas.

10 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

I am so with you! I NEVER see coupons for anything we use.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Janice in GA said...

Another person here who rarely uses coupons, because we don't use the products that they have coupons for. We're getting away from processed foods, and there aren't many coupons for broccoli or kale or whole chickens. :)

3:30 PM  
Blogger Caroline in NH said...

I agree. I buy a lot in bulk - organic flour, oatmeal, rice; make a lot from scratch, like pancakes, pizza crust, bread, recently tried my hand at pasta; what I *do* buy, I tend to get store brands. OH, wait, I did have a coupon for a free bag of dog food last week!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Lovely quilt. I like to think about how the pieces were once used...C

4:55 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Gorgeous quilt Grace!
Buying just plain ingredients or unprocessed food is getting hard enough...what coupons?

12:06 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

My SIL is the coupon queen but like you we never use them as we do all the cooking from scratch. The quilt is beautiful. I have some tops my grandmother made which some day (if it ever comes!) I would like to finish. Stay warm.

8:30 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Very nice work on the quilt!

The only coupons that I find use for are the cleaning supplies ;-)

8:47 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

The quilt is lovely!

I am with you on the coupons. I never find any for anything I use except maybe kitty litter every once in a while!

7:41 PM  
Blogger phaedra96 said...

I am with you on the coupon thing. We have a bulk food store and a bent-and-dent discount grocery store locally. These places are where I purchase the bulk of my grocery list. No coupons. Truth be, the bulk food store is actually much cheaper than the regular stores(even-gasp-Walmart!) and you know the staples are fresher. The quilt is so pretty and what history it could tell. I have quite a few tops that I have quilted that came from auctions and junk stores. Hand pieced, hand quilted, hand finished. I would so love to know who put these together.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I am a long arm quilter and a newbie spinner. I have no coupon suggestions, but I do consider barter for work I do. Let me know if you are interested!

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home