Thursday, September 24, 2009

Estonian Lace




This is what happened after I bought Nancy Bush’s Knitted Lace of Estonia.

I’ve done a few simple lace scarves starting with Branching Out and had some scary times so decided to make life easy on myself. I picked the Lily of the Valley scarf and chose to make it in Knit Picks merino and silk white fingering yarn on size seven needles.

The yarn is terrific - - maybe because of the 30% silk content. Even frogging the same row ten times didn’t make the yarn look funny, a handy quality for a beginning lace-weight-knitting-wannabe.

There are some mistakes here and there, and I only did one repeat of the central motif and three instead of five of the lace edging.

Unfortunately Knit Picks was out of the bare (white) laceweight merino/silk blend yarn so I got this magenta for the next version of the same scarf. I wish I had used the seven loop knupp instead of the five loop knupp, but I’ll do that in the future.

The pattern is going much easier and managing the laceweight yarn is also going a bit better than I expected - - am still making mistakes, but maybe by the next project…..

I really wish I was making the scarf in white. To me lace just needs to be white. Oh well, they’ll have more in November. BTW there is an Estonian Lace group on Ravelry!

3 Comments:

Blogger cyndy said...

Very Nice!

You made quick work of it!
Love those knupps!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Beautiful! I will be knitting one of those lace scarves with my handspun alpaca/silk blend.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

The scarf is beautiful. Are you bringing it tomorrow?

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home