Thursday, September 18, 2008

Last days of the summer


The woolly bear says it will be a warm winter. The Old Farmer’s Almanac the opposite. And then there are the sunspots - - or lack of them - - to tell us it isn’t going to be warm at all for quite a while.

Soon there will be a frost. In the meantime, I am squirreling away food for the winter.

The potatoes are huge. After a bad start we still got some winter squash. And the tomatoes………….. enough already.

The freezer is full of tomato sauce, basil pesto, dill/parsley pesto and blackberries. Jars of pear honey, rose hip jam and soon grape jam will be on the shelves and the garden will be done for the year.

The sheep need shearing. I sheared two of the lambs and want to blend the white fleece with some white bunny fiber I bought at the Endless Mountains Fiber Festival. I have never used bunny fluff before.

2 Comments:

Blogger cyndy said...

The larder is full, it has been a good harvest!

Beautiful photograph of the bounty!

Have (pfft) fun with the (pfft) bunny fluff (pffffft ffft!)

3:08 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

After all the canned tomatoes I almost bought some sauce as I didn't want to use what I made yet!!!! I fought the garden and the garden kicked my butt so I pulled it all! The steers got out today so instead of going on an extended vacation on 9/27 they might be leaving tomorrow. I am done in from this year. But I do love the full shelves.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home