Thursday, August 28, 2008

PA ENDLESS MOUNTAINS FIBER FESTIVAL!


The Endless Mountains (PA) Fiber Festival Sept 6 & 7 is a week away! We can't wait!!
Here are some of the beautifully restored antique spinning wheels we will have there.
The lighter colored one is a signed Shaker wheel (signed SR AL) made in Alfred, ME. It looks exactly like the one in Pennington & Taylor's book, Spinning Wheels and Accessories.
The darker one with the complete distaff is a huge favorite of Fred's. We don't know its origin, but there is so little wear on the original bearings and treadle that is it basically like the day it was made. This wheel is a delight to treadle.
The more compact wheel at the bottom with back braces is clearly a Berks County, PA wheel. It has remnants of orange stripes painted on some of the turnings.
We'll also have some of the double hole rigid heddle tape looms Fred makes at the show. Signe Mitchell's Weavezine has an article about these looms in the new fall issue.
Fred also makes double hole box tape looms which can be seen in our January and February 08 blog archives.








8 Comments:

Blogger Laughingrat said...

Those are all so beautiful, but I love the first wheel--why am I not surprised it's a Shaker wheel? From the little I know about the Shakers, it seems like they wanted to create some beauty in everything they touched, and it shows in that wheel.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Phiala said...

I don't know if I'll make it or not - I'm dreadfully busy this fall, in the 70-hour workweek sense. (Ick!!!!)

So busy, I haven't even mentioned it online yet - will go fix that right now!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Since I didn't make it to Rhinebeck last fall or MD S&W this Spring, I have been waiting for Endless. See ya there.

3:26 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

These are beautifully restored wheels!

Looking forward to the Festival!

8:11 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

PS...can't wait for the article in Weavezine!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

If I were to get a second wheel I'd love it to be that first one, I really fell in love with it at first sight...Just lovely.Ginny B.

11:13 AM  
Blogger bspinner said...

Beautiful wheels!!!! Also enjoyed your article in Weavezine.

2:26 PM  
Blogger bspinner said...

You've encouraged me to take my tape loom off it's perch and actually use it. Thanks

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home