Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool Festival


The weather was great for the Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool Festival this year.
Our first priority was to buy Sardinian sheep and goat cheeses. In the same building a woman was doing a spinning demo on a pendulum wheel. The wheel was made by her husband of koa wood from Hawaii.
It is a "walking" wheel that you sit down at - http://youtube.com/watch?v=jEcBvR7n8OI
There was a woman using an antique sock machine there too.
We checked in with Misty Mountain. I have a black ram Linda bred.
We saw the antique pendulum wheel at Merlin Tree. My friend, Cyndy, wound up spinning on that wheel the next day. After that we had cappucino and a death-by-Belgian-chocolate brownie.
Then we started wandering thru the barns in a semi organized way. I really wanted to see the strange looking bluefaced Leicester sheep. It had started to get pretty crowded by the time we were walking thru all the different barns. There were more food vendors and more fiber vendors than before. I bought a rosemary plant and admired the Mongolian felted hats and some amazing roving in soft shades of blues and pale greens.The weather was perfect, but pretty warm for handknits so there was not as much of a "fashion show" in the crowds walking by. The leaves were gorgeous on the way home. The view of cloud-shade dappled river banks and distant mountains we saw driving over the Hudson River bridge was awesome.

5 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

I stayed home to get things done, which I did, but still miss having gone. Oh well next year. I heard the crowds on Saturday surpassed last years two day total.

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:42 PM  
Blogger ohlord00 said...

Hi - can you advise where you bought your goat cheese? Last year when I went back, they should out. Didn't make it this year. Thanks for any help!

4:12 PM  
Blogger judy said...

Cyndy sat right down and figured it out. It was beautiful to watch. There is a You Tube of that wheel, also.

12:22 PM  
Blogger YowlYY said...

Hi Grace,
I just found your blog via your signature and read the comment on the Sardinian sheep and goat cheese :) I am from Sardinia and was impressed to read that our cheese does manage to travel to the Rhinebeck festival too!
When I visit my family, I always make a point in taking a bit home with me, as it is hard to find in the UK and as soon as there is a £££ tag, prices skyrocket like nobody's business...
Happy knitting (and spinning, and crafting),
Gabriella

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home