Thursday, October 18, 2007

Dyeing to spin!




Processing……..processing……… All the fleeces are shorn. For the first time this year I sheared 20 sheep - - some twice - spring and fall -, but it still counts.

I kept two baby Finn lamb fleeces for myself, one cushy charcoal grey and one cottony white. The skirtings from the fleeces I sold have all been washed and some dyed and now I can have the fun of blending all the bright colors from the Jacquard acid dyes.

Judy gave me some walnuts and I tried dyeing with them using equal parts of vinegar and water which did yield a more russet color. I still have the rest of the hulls soaking. I set the nuts out to dry before trying to crack them and when I went back to get them, the squirrels had made off with them all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Oh I love that blue! I need to get up the nerve to use more than just kool aid, easter egg and food coloring to dye my wool.

11:58 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

What a nice basket of goodies! YUM!

10:17 AM  
Blogger LDSVenus said...

Those colors are rich and yummy :). Where do you get your dyes? I've only tryed the Wilton dyes and am hooked on dying my own roving now ;P. Want to try hand painting next :).

7:46 AM  
Blogger finnsheep said...

The blue is a Jacquard acid dye - - royal blue. The red, unfortunately, was supposed to be russet - - oops! But not a problem since I can overdye it.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Witchypoo said...

Oh the colors are beautiful! I love acid dyes too.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home