Thursday, August 30, 2007

MORE FAUX ISLE AND CURLICUES

More Faux Isle. I’m working on eyeglasses cases. The red-themed one is a bit large unless I line it with fleece. The blue/green version seems to be the right size.

Even if they don’t work as glasses cases, it is a very worthwhile experiment in putting colors together. Colors I would never have thought to put beside one another look wonderful to me!

The green/blue version only has shades of beige and brown as the alternate color.

Somewhere I saw a knit hat decorated with curlicues that looked like spiral pasta.
I wanted knitted spirals, but didn’t know how to do them. Nicky Epstein’s book
Knitting Over The Edge has cabbage roses on the cover which gave me the idea to make some and just attach one end to the top of the hat. I did use one of those on this hat, but Pam (MN) from Knitlist had a better idea: to cast on a whole bunch of stitches on a long needle….
R1. Knit 2 tog
R2. Knit 2 tog
Bind off tightly
And that is how the other two are made!

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Nice faux isle, Grace! For spirals (in one less row) you could also cast on a number of stitches, increase in each stitch by knitting in the front and back of each stitch all the way across the row, then bind off as if to purl. Also a Nicky Epstein technique, I believe.

2:19 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

The Faux Isle cases look terrific!
They could also be used for a cell phone or i-pod case.

I love your sense of color!

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home