Saturday, August 18, 2007

FAUX ISLE EXPERIMENT











My Faux Isle experiment was inspired by the Fake Isle hat by Amy King http://www.magknits.com/Nov06/patterns/fakeisle.htm
and the totally amazing Kauni cardigan http://www.ruths.dk/kauni%20regnbue%20engelsk.pdf

With vague notions of knitting undetermined Fair Isle projects, I bought this lot of small balls of a range of colors on ebay for a great price. Unfortunately they are pretty scratchy so a project never emerged. Plus in the back of my mind was the hassle of following some pattern and then weaving in all those ends.

When I saw the fabulous Kauni cardigan, it gave me this idea. I learned the color changes in the Kauni yarn were about 30 yards long, but I wanted to do a much smaller test project so made my runs of each color 6 yards long. I wound the first color of the first ball of yarn on my yarn winder which is 72” around and then spit joined a slightly different color for the next 6 yards and so on. I followed the same color sequence with the second ball of yarn, but started further along so the colors would show sufficient contrast to keep the pattern attractive. This is two color, two handed stranding with floats woven in about every three stitches. This pattern uses equal amounts of yarn of both colors. The pattern requires a multiple of six stitches.
I think I will felt my test project and line it for an eyeglasses case.

6 Comments:

Blogger CraftyCarole said...

it's beautiful......do you sell your fleeces?

11:27 AM  
Blogger majoliefille96 said...

The pattern is very pretty. Will it lose some of its definition when felted?

~Paula

1:53 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Gorgeous work, can't wait to see the finished project. Are you going to do the cardigan?

10:37 PM  
Blogger finnsheep said...

We do sell fleeces. I should be shearing towards the end of Sept.

The reason I am thinking of felting it is that it is a bit too wide for a glasses case. I didn't have any purpose in mind when I started it, but then I thought it could be a glasses case.
Grace

5:48 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Very clever idea! It worked out well for you too! I love the yarn colors btw!

6:02 AM  
Blogger Lorri said...

So simple and yet so brillant! I love your color choices too. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home