Monday, June 04, 2007

When good socks go bad.........



After the first sock was finished with few difficulties, you would think that the second sock would be a breeze. But no. I had already knit the ribbing for both socks while searching for instructions for short rows that I could understand. When it came time to knit the second sock, I found the ribbing had four more stitches than the first sock and was in danger of being too large. Okay, pull up my socks, frog and knit the ribbing again.

Then I made mistakes with the short rows on the heel and had to frog it at our spinning/knitting group and in front of everyone made the mistake of strangling the sock.

The sock *appeared* to be chastened and I was admiring the fact that both socks looked so similar right past the heel. I should have suspected something when I ran out of yarn when it came time to short row the toe. But I innocently spun a bit more yarn.

When the sock was finished it was about half an inch too short and didn’t fit me. Apparently I had spun a thinner yarn.

So rather than undoing the toe, I snipped a stitch and plan to knit more in the middle and then Kitchener the whole sock together afterwards. I ran a lifeline above and below the points where the sock will be opened up and marked one row above and below so I canput it back together correctly afterwards.

4 Comments:

Blogger Debbi said...

Knitting... it's an adventure. :) I hope the sock finally gives up and cooperates for you.

7:24 AM  
Blogger majoliefille96 said...

Sock-it-two-me…..so, you say you love knitting up the first sock, but loath knitting up the second? Here’s what I do (knowing that if I didn’t I would probably never start/finish the 2nd): using 2 sets of dpns, I start both at the same time (well, kind of). I cast on for the first sock on the 1st set of dpns, then I cast on for the second sock on the 2nd set of dpns, I knit the leg portion of the 1st set, the leg portion of the 2nd set, the heel of the 1st, the heel of the 2nd, and so on it goes, alternating between the two sets of needles until both socks are done at the same time—Viola! NO more one-at-a-time socks for me (I do the same thing for sleeves). Hope this helps! ~Paula 

12:21 PM  
Blogger majoliefille96 said...

I might add that if you are unsure if you will have enough yarn to finish both socks (in this case you will need to balls of yarn, one of each to start each sock), divide the yarn you have (by measuring or weighing), and knit each sock as above. If, you find that you may run out of the MC yarn, do up the heels/toes in a complimentary or contrasting yarn color--what fun!
~Paula

12:27 PM  
Blogger majoliefille96 said...

And, there is yet another way of completing both socks at the same time:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html

But honestly, this method would drive me crazy at the heel--not a good method for the novice sock knitter. This method would reduce my project to a rather tangled mess I'm afraid. And, after 45+ years of knitting I prefer doing things the easy way, wouldn't you? LOL!
~Paula

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home