Sunday, May 27, 2007

Yellow roses and a sock




This is the first time in many years that this yellow rose has bloomed, but it was worth the wait. Rosa hugonis, a species from China, is supposed to be tolerant of difficult conditions. Our soil is mostly sandy glacial till and doesn’t hold water well.

The sock is my first foray into short rows. I spun the yarn from Carol Lee’s white wool roving that was dyed using an assortment of dyes including annatto, Cushing’s garnet,
as well as blue and green food coloring. Then I plied the colorful strand with my own Finn wool dyed to a cotton candy pink.
There is an abundance of short row instructions online which seemed to me to add to my confusion. I wound up following the instructions in the new Knitpicks catalog. I did the toe and heel exactly the same and then kitchenered the top of the toe to the rest of the foot.

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

I tried the short row again, this time a no wrap. Same results as before...I just didn't get the pick up part. I need to frog it and try again. This is my third foray into short rows, you would think I would get it by now!!! At some point I will be slapping myself upside my head going duh!!!!why didn't I see that before~hopefully soon! Love the roses, I have my grandmothers irises which are the same color but I bet don't smell as good!

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home